Ukiyo-i inspired artwork




Ukiyo-i literally means "art of the floating world". It is a genre of Japanese woodblook prints and painting produced between the 17th and 20th centuries depicting city life in Edo (the old name for Tokyo) - what interests me about this style of art is the intricacy of detail. For instance, water, or leaves or trees or prints on clothes are depicted in myriad ways - through simple lines and strokes which can be easily re-created with pencils and calligraphy pens. My particular favourite is Hukosai. As I work through the motifs and designs which interest me, I will post them here...

The second posting above is loosely inspired by the story of the Willow Pattern Plate which my dad used to tell us as children, but I decided to let it evolve and take on a life of its own.

Comments

Popular Posts