Day 19 - Risk and evolving


Quotes

"I am my best work - a series of road maps, reports, recipes, doodles and prayers from the front lines." - Audre Lorde

"A self is always becoming." - Madeleine L'Engle

" The center that I cannot find, is known to my unconscious mind." - W.H. Auden

"There is a risk you cannot afford to take [and} the is the risk you cannot afford not to take." - Peter Drucker

Intention

To create a page representing how risk and growth feel to me

My process

I took the edge of a wet tea bag, dabbed it all over the circle in a random pattern (creating thick lines). I dropped green ink into these lines and sprinkled them with salt. This caused the ink to congeal at random. The spaces between these green lines were filled in with dabs of diluted pink and orange ink. The pink represented to me the underlying love and support from within, the orange represented drive and energy and the green, growth and risk, laced with the astringency of salt which stood for abrasive experiences which spark development in a new direction.

Journaling Prompt

Taking  calculated risks is essential for a fruitful life. Risk taking reduces fear, opens new possibilities, develops confidence and resilience, teaches lessons and leads to rewards. Confident people take the following types of risks:
1. They risk being hurt - they go out and try
2. They risk being responsible
3. They risk letting go 
From a Project Management perspective, there are five steps to mitigating risk. These are:
1. Identify the risk inherent in each course of action
2. Analyse the risk - what is the likelihood of it occurring? If it does occur how will it affect you, others and your potential course of action
3.  Evaluate or rank the risk in terms of its possible impact
4. Treat the risk, ie develop strategies to cope with or mitigate the risk
5. Monitor and review the risk once you have decided on a course of action 
In order to empower yourself to take risks, you need to focus on developing:
1. Your self-confidence - basically the belief that even if things go wrong, they will cope and learn
2. A empowering mindset - an array of thought processes to support and enlarge themselves
3. Self-compassion - an understanding that it is ok to make mistakes and that mistakes do not define one as a person
4. Skills that support the process - these include personal development skills and specific skills relating to dealing with risk.
Based on the above, ask yourself:
What kind of risks am I comfortable with? What kind of risks terrify me? Why?

Daily Wrap Up:

     After completing your artwork and journal entry, consider the following questions:
   - Has my work followed the suggested theme? 
- - Is a particular motif, story or message persistently showing through in my work? What does this suggest to me?
   - If not, is there a pattern, underlying suggestion, message or idea which it has raised. 
   - Is this pattern related to my previous journal entries?
   - Would I like to follow it further? If so, how can I do that in a way which empowers me?
   - How do I feel about the work I have done? Why?
- - Do I feel any resistance to the process? Why?
    In your journal, write up a few comments answering these questions, or else highlight the sections of your written work that seem to suggest a pattern or feature you would like to work on.

Comments

Popular Posts